Thursday, October 17, 2013

The oldest card in my hockey collection

I've missed my hockey cards. It seems as if I spend most of my time blogging about my San Diego Padres cards on Bleedin' Brown and Gold, even though the Padres baseball season is over. With hockey season well underway, I need to start showing some man love toward my first love -- my hockey collection.

So there I was, going through my 12 boxes of hockey cards and I discovered a card that I almost forgot I had. I'm a firm believer in history, so this card holds a special place in my collection and in my collecting heart, because it's also the oldest card I own.


I can't quite remember when I picked up this 1933-34 V357 Ice Kings #39 Glen "Swampy" Brydson RC. I know I got if off E-Bay for a pretty reasonable price, considering its condition. All I can remember, is that I thought it was a really cool looking card, I didn't have any cards earlier then 1969, and it's definitely a piece of hockey history. Especially since it was from the early '30s.

Even better, I discovered this scrappy right winger, born Nov. 7, 1910 in Swansea, Ontario, had played three of his eight NHL seasons with my Chicago Blackhawks, after being traded from the New York Rangers for Howie Morenz in January 1936.  According to the Hockey Hall of Fame website, "He was a decent role player for the Hawks but lost his place in the line-up part way through the 1937-38 season. Brydson spent his last four and a half pro seasons in the AHL then played a year with the senior Kingston Frontenacs before retiring in 1943."

He began his NHL career in 1930-31 with the Montreal Maroons, the team he's pictured with on this card. He played for the St. Louis Eagles (1934-35) before being picked up by the Rangers. As a Hawk, he was 14-14-29 in 75 games as a Hawk, with 58 penalty minutes.

He passed away on Dec. 9, 1993 and is buried in Toronto's Park Lawn Cemetery.

Besides the awesomeness of owning a 79-year old hockey card, these early cards present such a sense of history, especially in those early days of the NHL. I also have no doubt that each little crease and curling on this particular card has a story of its own to tell. I'm definitely looking forward to eventually expanding this segment of my hockey card collection.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! That's such a cool set to collect, too. I've got a signed Red Horner from that set and it's one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW a signed Ice Kings, that sounds amazing, any pics?

    Very cool card, I can't imagine the pressure that must have been on him after getting traded for Howie Morenz. He must be the original Jimmy Carson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a picture of it here: http://1967ers.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/who-had-the-first-retired-number-in-professional-sports/

      Sounds crazy, but I forgot I had the Clancy until I saw that post.

      Delete
  3. That's why it's so cool to thumb through the cards every now and then - nothing else, as a a reminder of why you started out in the first place.

    ReplyDelete