Thursday, January 30, 2014

Where have all the 'cool' collectors gone?

I guess you can say it's been a rather frustrating couple of weeks. After trying to get reconnected with my hockey card collection and the hockey collecting world in general,  I have one question.

Where have all the cool hockey card collector's gone?

When I was a hockey forum moderator on Sports Card Forum, there a bunch of great traders who were very active in the pursuit of their favorite teams and players. It didn't take much to strike up a trade and badda bing, badda boom, it was a done deal.

You could also find some great deals on E-Bay, including old card sets and collections were looking to part with, at a fairly decent price. Those were great in boosting my collection with older, established players, as the table in my collection room now holds eight, 5,000-count hockey boxes full of cards.

Hockey card collecting now has a completely different feel than what it used to. While hockey has always been the red-headed stepchild among the baseball, football and basketball collecting family, there was a sense of community and humanity among hockey card collectors. Now, it feels like everyone is out for themselves, trying to get what they can. This seems totally the opposite of the baseball card bloggers I correspond and trade with on my Bleedin' Brown and Gold baseball card blog.
Recently, I "liked" a hockey collecting group on Facebook and offered up the Alexander Ovechkin autograph I pulled from a box of Panini Hockey Prizm from my LCS' Black Friday sales. Serial numbered 20/20 and replete with a sharp blue pen autograph, I posted it up for sale or trade, hoping at the very least I could get a nice Tony Esposito auto, or something nice in return.

I had a couple of bites at possible traders, but I already had the Espo cards they were offering. I had one guy who was willing to buy it, so I threw a $100 estimate at him as a negotiable starting point.

Bottom line, I was told the card wasn't worth it.

"It does not mean anything that it is 20/20," I was told, "I will give you $40. Paypal right now."

While I don't take much stock in "book value," I'm not going to sell you a $100 card for pennies on the dollar. Ovechkin's regular Panini auto sells for slightly less than that, and at least to me, a card serial numbered 20 of 20 has a special significance, as there are only 20 of that specific card made.

I should have told him fine, if you have any serial numbered 1/1s or 5/5s laying around, that doesn't mean anything, I'll give you $10 for them.

Maybe I erred in joining this particular group. Besides SCF, what other good hockey card trading/collecting groups and/or websites are out there?

In the meantime, I once again ask, Where have all the cool hockey card collector's gone?

5 comments:

  1. I wasn't too fond of that FB group either. I made a couple of trades, but never found it fun. Too much attitude.

    I've been part of the board at sportscardforum and zistle. People have had luck there. I really haven't.

    Part of the problem, I think, is simply the difference in the number of people collecting hockey vs the number collecting baseball. It's at least a factor of ten if not more than that and it just makes it that much harder to find matching interests. The best trades I have seen and/or been a part of have been blog trades and just based around sending random lots of stuff around. It's too hard to be specific with hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    My name is Ryan and I run twopadstack.net. We're looking to expand our coverage to include hobby-related items (hockey only) and think you'd be a great fit for our writing staff. If you're interested, give me a shout back via email: ryan@twopadstack.net. Look forward to hearing from you!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool hockey collectors? You should come to Chicago. There's a few of us around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you still have this, I might have a Tony Esposito autographed card. I think I have two of the same card autographed. I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sal, by any chance do you have a scan of that card?

    ReplyDelete