Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Capping my Christmas shopping at the Urbandale Card Show

While I usually keep pretty close tabs on when Urbandale hosts its monthly card show at the Urbandale American Legion Hall, it was my wife who reminded me it was going on the week before Christmas. It couldn't have come at a better time, since I had a few extra Christmas cards I had to get out to my blogging brethren.
 
While I was able to find those final Christmas gifts, one thing that was pleasantly surprising, was the fact one of the six dealers present had two huge boxes of hockey cards. Not only did he have two huge boxes of hockey cards, but they were marked 25 cents each. Not only were they marked 25 cents each, but since it was Christmas, he decided to sell them for one shiny nickel, each.
 
Needless to say, I bypassed my usual accumulation of mass quantities of San Diego Padres baseball cards, and instead concentrated on hockey cards.
 
'Tis the season, after all.
 
I've always liked pretty, sparkly colors, so I picked up these 2001-02 Crown Royale Retail Greens of Mario Lemieux, Felix Potvin, and Roman Cechmanek, as well as a 2013-14 Panini Player of the Day Alex Galchenyuk, 2013-14 Score Ben Street RC, 2012-13 Score Travis Turnbull RC.
 
 
And then I picked up a whole mess of Upper Deck Victory RCs, to include a 2007-08 Jiri Tlusty and Brett Sterling, 2008-09 Blake Wheeler, 2011-12 John Moore, 2010-11 Luke Adam, 2008-09 Jared Ross, 2011-12 Justin KiBenedetto, and a 2011-12 Chris Vande Velde.

Among the 2008-09 Upper Deck Champ's cards were these RCs of Darrol Powe, Brett Skinner, and Tabian Brunnstrom, and then a 2011-12 Panini Rookie Anthology Sidney Crosby, 1995-96 Emotion Xcited Mario Lemieu and 1996-97 SPx Jaromir Jagr

Here's a few more rookie cards, courtesy of a 2007-08 Ultra Curtis Glencross RC, Ryan Parent RC, 2013-14 Score Check It Luke Schenn, 2011-12 Elite Rookie Stars Brett Connolly, 2005-06 Upper Deck MVP Rookie Breakthrough Hannu Toivonen, 2005-06 Upper Deck MVP Rene Bourque RC.
 
And then yet another clutch of rookie cards, this time including 2008-09 OPC Marquee Rookies Matthew Hallischuk, Andreas Nodl, Vladimir Mihalik, and Ben Bishop, 2009-10 Byron Bitz, and a 2014-15 OPC Jordan Sundstrom RC.
 
Finally, I managed to find three interesting oddball cards in 1994-95 Assets Phone Cards One Minute for Radek Bonk, Manon Rheaume and Petr Sykora, I also found a1988-89 OPC Mini Patrick Roy and 1993-94 Parkhurst Parkie Reprint Gump Worsley. Phone cards are always interesting, but when you add hockey player photos to the front of them, especially Rheaume, it makes them just that much more interesting.
 
I doubt if I'll ever get a deal like this again from this particular seller, but hey, I'm more than satisfied with what I managed to find.
 
Here's to happy collecting in the upcoming New Year.


2 comments: