Monday, January 4, 2016

Opening a Christmas repack, Part III

For Christmas, my wife picked up a 10-pack hockey re-pack box for my Christmas stocking. It contained a pair of 2009-2010 Upper Deck National Hockey Card Day Canada packs; a 2012-2013 National Hockey Card Day Canada; three packs of 2012-13 Score; a 2014-15 Artifacts pack; a 2013-14 Panini Prizm pack; and a 2012-13 Upper Deck Series one pack and 32-card pack.
  
 
In my first post, I opened the three National Hockey Card Day packs. In my second post, I opened the 2014-15 Artifacts pack and the 2013-14 Panini Prizm pack. Today, I'm opening the three packs of 2012-13 Score.  

I've always considered the Score hockey set as cards for the common fan. They're fun, cheap, and fairly nice entry-level cards. Thanks to a lot of the current high-end sets, it's getting harder and harder for fans, especially the younger ones who hockey should be catering to in order to keep the hobby alive, to be able to afford much of today's cardboard.

And while the cards may not be much to look at, Score is often a fun, quirky set to collect. This year's set, however, certainly follows that trend - They're certainly not much to look at, at all.

I did manage to get a few good rookies, about one per pack. They include a Gold Rush Jordan Nolan RC (#508), Chet Pickard RC (#537) and Ryan Hamilton RC (#523). There's also a Gold Rush Jacob Josefson (#205), Gold Rush Michael Des Zotto (#316), and a Gold Rush Johnny Boychuk (#67).

The rest of the packs included a Jamie Benn (#13), Francois Beauchamin (#51), David Krejci (#60), Shawn Thornton (#65), Drew Stafford (#73), Jiri Tlusty (#107), Paul Stastny (#132), Brian Campell (#207), Scott Clemmensen (#220), David Desharnais (#256), Blake Geoffrion (#261), Gabriel Bourque (#279), Henrik Lundqvist (#311), Brooks Laich (#463), Mathieu Perreault (#474).

I remember watching Clemmensen, a Des Moines native, playing goalie for our hometown Des Moines Buccaneers Tier 1 team, before he headed to Boston College. I got to see him play again in 2014 when Florida sent him down to the AHL's San Antonio Rampage, as he took on our Iowa Wild. He stopped 29 shots, enroute to a 2-1 loss.

Other Bucs alumni include Erik Cole, Kyle Okposo, Peter Sejna, Noah Clarke, and Peter Smrek.

In my next post, I'll be opening the 2012-13 Upper Deck Series one packs.

No comments:

Post a Comment